Massey Home > Calendar > General Information > Massey University
All Massey Calendar
  Home  |  Study  |  Research  |  Extramural  |  Campuses  |  Colleges  |  About Massey  |  Library  |  Fees  |  Enrolment
Calendar Home
Diary of Key Dates 2007
General Information
  Introduction
  Massey University
  Policy Statements
  Admission and Enrolment
  Associations
Statutes and Regulations
Academic Programmes
Paper Prescriptions and Schedules
Officers and Staff
Glossary of Terms
Index
Maps
Help

Massey University

Massey University was established as a university under founding legislation which was the Massey University Act 1963. Tuition for degrees, diplomas and certificates is offered by the Colleges of Business; Creative Arts; Education; Sciences; and Humanities and Social Sciences.

Mission

(Excerpt from the Massey University Charter)

Massey University is committed to meeting the needs of New Zealand and New Zealanders, enhancing access to university study for diverse populations, preparing students for life-long learning, and meeting international standards of excellence in research and teaching. Massey University is an integrated multi-campus institution of higher learning that creates new knowledge and understanding; synthesises, applies and disseminates knowledge; develops advanced learning and scholarly abilities for a national and international student body; and promotes free and rational inquiry. We offer high-quality learning experiences that empower people and their communities to prosper in an increasingly knowledge-dependent and technologically advanced world.

Massey University is driven by a spirit of community relevance and engagement, while maintaining intellectual independence. We will use our multi-campus structure to meet the needs of our constituent regional communities, while our flexible delivery and distance (extramural) education capabilities give a national and international reach to our educational programmes.

Massey University recognises and respects the significance of mana whenua within its regions and the range of Māori organisations contributing to Māori development and advancement. We have demonstrated our commitment to Māori development by providing Māori academic leadership, research opportunities and educational qualifications that assist in the achievement of Māori aspirations.

Our integrated academic structures and organisational arrangements enable and support interdisciplinary and cross-disciplinary research and academic programmes. We pride ourselves on the relevance of our programmes; on our openness to students of diverse backgrounds spanning age, geographic location, educational background, ethnicity and culture; on the support we provide for our students; and on the relationship we have built with our alumni.

Primary Aims

A. Research and Creative Works

Goals (10-Year Plan)

1. To advance the reputation and performance of Massey University as a research university of international standing.

2. To strengthen our contribution to New Zealand's economic, social and cultural advancement, through excellent, accessible and relevant research, scholarship and creative work.

B. Teaching and Learning

Goal (10-Year Plan)

1. To provide tertiary education of a quality and kind that will enhance the capabilities, potential, and intellectual independence of its students, on a life-long basis, through education both on and off campus.

C. Treaty of Waitangi

Goals (10-Year Plan)

1. Demonstrate Massey University's commitment to being recognised as:

(a) a Māori-relevant university;

(b) a place where Māori language and culture can flourish;

(c) a place where Māori students are likely to graduate;

(d) a university where Māori will obtain relevant higher degrees;

(e) a university which has the teaching and research capacity to make a substantial contribution to positive Māori development;

(f) a university that provides academic leadership for Māori development.

D. Students

Goal (10-Year Plan)

1. Distinguish Massey University by the vibrancy of its campuses and student learning experience, its inclusiveness and its outstanding service to students.

E. Staff

Goal (10-Year Plan)

1. To strengthen Massey University as an employer of choice for outstanding academic and general staff.

F. The University and the Wider Community

Goal (10-Year Plan)

1. To be an integral, respected and favoured part of our core communities through our role as a creator and repository of knowledge, a critic and conscience of society, a guardian of culture and a source of expertise and advice.

G. Internationalisation

Goals (10-Year Plan)

1. To pursue increased internationalisation and advance Massey University's standing in the international community.

2. To emphasis and enhance Massey University's presence in the Asia-Pacific region and to strengthen relationships with Pacific nations and peoples.

H. Organisation and Management

Goals (10-Year Plan)

1. To ensure the University has a sustainable resource base sufficient to pursue its primary aims.

2. To have management at all levels which is competent, effective and accountable.

3. To support teaching, learning and research activities, through provision of quality infrastructure, national shared services and regional support activities.

Environmental Mission Statement

Massey University is committed to the principles of environmental responsibility and sustainable resource management at local, national and international levels. It will meet this commitment through community involvement and leadership in education, research and sustainable management practices.

The Massey University Environmental Policy translates the above statement into the following general concepts of environmental responsibility for the University:

-   A commitment to the principles of sustainability and to raising environmental awareness, understanding and responsibility throughout the University, the local communities within which its campuses are situated, and in all the wider partnerships and associations beyond the University.

-   A whole-institution response to environmental responsibility and to sustainability, fostered by wide and continuing consultation.

-   A commitment to Education for Sustainability as a lifelong process for all through interdisciplinary and holistic learning programmes.

-   A commitment to research into environmental issues at local, national and global levels.

-   A commitment to the processes of education for sustainability.

History

The University, established in 1964, grew out of an antecedent institution called Massey Agricultural College. The College evolved from developments at both Victoria University College and Auckland University College in the 1920s.

The first Chair established in the College of Sciences is named after Sir Walter Clarke Buchanan, whose contribution towards the founding of a Chair in Agriculture at Victoria University College led to the appointment of Professor G.S. Peren as Professor of Agriculture in 1924. A bequest from Sir John Logan Campbell led to the creation of a Chair in Agriculture at Auckland University College, to which Professor W. Riddet was appointed in 1925. The present Chair in Food Technology commemorates this benefaction. Two Schools of Agriculture were initially established, and in 1926 it was resolved by a committee of both Colleges that the Schools should be amalgamated and their combined resources devoted to the establishment of a single institution in the Manawatu. This decision was implemented by the passing of the New Zealand Agricultural College Act in 1926 and by the purchase of the Batchelar estate on the south side of the Manawatu River near Palmerston North. In succeeding years the College acquired several adjoining properties as the need for farm land and building sites increased.

The College was renamed in 1927 after William Ferguson Massey, a former Prime Minister, by an amendment to the Agricultural College Act. In March of 1928 Massey Agricultural College was formally opened. Professor Peren became Walter Clarke Buchanan Professor of Agriculture and Principal of the College, and Professor Riddet became Logan Campbell Professor of Agriculture and Director of the Dairy Research Institute. There were other staff appointments in Soil Chemistry, Agricultural Botany, Agricultural Economics, Livestock and Veterinary Science, Agricultural Zoology, and Bacteriology. The College offered courses leading to the degrees of Bachelor of Agricultural Science and Master of Agricultural Science of the University of New Zealand. It also offered a variety of shorter courses in aspects of farm management and technology leading to College diplomas and certificates. Eighty-four students enrolled in the first year.

The history of the College for the next 25 years was one of con-solidation as a residential agricultural college, steady expansion of these teaching programmes and development as a research institution in cooperation with the New Zealand Dairy Research Institute and units of the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research. For fourteen years following the School of Agriculture Act 1937, Massey Agricultural College and Canterbury Agricultural College at Lincoln constituted the New Zealand School of Agriculture under the direction of a joint Council that coordinated their activities, although each College retained its own Board of Governors. This Act was repealed in 1951.

The post-war period was marked by the introduction of degree courses in Horticulture in 1948, as well as the acquisition of approximately 200 acres to the immediate south in 1946. "Wharerata", a large homestead set in sixteen acres of garden and bush, was added in 1951 following the addition of the farm known as "Tuapaka" near Aokautere in 1948.

In 1960 a branch of the Victoria University of Wellington was founded in Palmerston North on a thirty-acre site at Hokowhitu and nearby Caccia Birch House. Extramural courses were offered throughout the country in selected subjects and tuition provided to Arts students in the Manawatu area. After the dissolution of the University of New Zealand at the end of 1961, Massey College elected, in terms of the Massey College Act of that year, to associate itself with Victoria University pending the assumption of full autonomy. This association was retained in the Massey University College of Manawatu Act 1962, which amalgamated Massey and the branch of Victoria University as from 1 January 1963, the latter becoming the General Studies Faculty of the new institution. By virtue of the Massey University of Manawatu Act 1963, the University was granted autonomy and degree-conferring powers as from 1 January 1964. The ten degrees listed in the Schedule to that Act are symbolised in the gyronny of the University Arms. Amendments abbreviating the name to Massey University were passed in 1966.

These developments, coinciding with a programme of curricular expansion initiated in the late 1950s, led to the establishment of many new departments and to a substantial increase in the number of teaching, research and technical staff. First-year science courses were introduced in 1958. Students working in agricultural degrees had formerly undertaken these prerequisite studies at one of the four colleges of the University of New Zealand. The Faculty of Technology was established in 1961 and the Faculty of Veterinary Science a year later. In 1965 the Faculty of Science was founded, where work continues to be concentrated on the biological sciences. In the same year General Studies was organised into two new Faculties, Humanities and Social Sciences. These were consolidated on the main site in 1968 and the Hokowhitu property was made available for the development of the Palmerston North Teachers' College, which was initially established in 1956 at another location. To coordinate the expanding graduate and research activities of the University, a School of Graduate Studies was created in 1969. Business Studies courses, directed by a Board of Studies, were first offered in 1971, and in 1972 joint teacher education and cooperation between the University and Palmerston North Teachers' College was formalised by the creation of a School of Education. Business Studies and Education are now both Colleges.

A School of Aviation was established in 1990. In the early 1990s, further schools were formed in Applied and International Economics and Mathematical and Information Sciences. In 1994 the latter became the Faculty of Information and Mathematical Sciences. For much of its work the University has national responsibilities; for instance, in agriculture, veterinary and extramural education. For other purposes, such as extension work and school accreditation, the University region is defined to the north by a line running from Waitara to Wairoa and to the south by a line running from the Waikawa River through to Mount Bruce. As the scope of its activities has broadened, the University has maintained since 1963 an extensive building and development programme designed to preserve as much as possible the semi-rural character of the campus; additional farm land has also been purchased during this period.

In 1996, Massey University merged with the Palmerston North College of Education and in 1997 the first College was established: the College of Education comprising the University Faculty and the former Palmerston North College of Education. Later in 1997 the following Colleges were established: the College of Business, comprising the former Faculty of Business Studies, the School of Aviation and the School of Applied and International Economics; the College of Humanities and Social Sciences, comprising the former Faculties of Humanities and Social Sciences; the College of Sciences, comprising the former Faculties of Science, Technology, Agricultural and Horticultural Sciences, Information and Mathematical Sciences and Veterinary Science. In 1999 the College of Design, Fine Arts and Music was formed as the result of a merger with the Wellington Polytechnic. In 2005 the New Zealand School of Music was formed by collaboration between Massey University and Victoria University. The College of Design, Fine Arts and Music was renamed College of Creative Arts.

Massey University's total roll in 2005 was 37,693, comprising 8,029 internal students at Palmerston North, 6,622 at Albany and 4,951 at Wellington, as well as 18,091 extramural students. Extramural tuition is now offered to students in all Colleges and Schools except Veterinary Science. The continuing development of the University is also reflected in the growing number of research and service units and of student hostels on the campus and adjacent sites. Descriptions of courses of study, research activities, departmental interests, hostels, farms, the library and other general facilities available at the University are given in later sections. Reference may also be made to other information booklets published by the University.

Multicampus Structure

Massey University now comprises five Colleges and forty-three academic units located across three campuses in the North Island.

Massey University Palmerston North

Massey University was founded in Palmerston North and today has two attractive locations there: Hokowhitu, the site of the College of Education, and Turitea, the original campus. These two locations are situated either side of the Manawatu River, within walking distance of the Palmerston North city centre. A free bus system for all staff and students allows easy access to all parts of the City and University.

The original campus at Turitea is set in a beautiful established forty-hectare park-like setting and houses the Colleges of Business, Sciences, and Humanities and Social Sciences, and the Vice-Chancellor's Office.

Close proximity to a student-friendly city, beautiful mountain ranges and countryside offering plenty of outdoor activities confer unique advantages on the campus. (See map at back.)

Massey University's College of Education also offers selected programmes collaboratively at EIT, in the Hawkes Bay.

Massey University Auckland

Massey University Albany in Auckland is New Zealand's fastest-growing and northern-most university campus. A complex of Mediterranean hill town-style buildings begun in 1993, the campus has an ongoing construction programme to meet the needs of the rapidly growing regional population.

Albany has a number of centres of excellence offering degree and diploma courses in Arts, Business, Clinical Psychology, Design, Education, Educational Psychology, Engineering, Food Technology, Information Engineering, Information Science, Jazz, Management, Mathematics, Mechatronics, Nutrition, Nursing and Midwifery, Social Sciences, Social Policy and Social Work, Speech-Language Therapy, Sports Science, Science and Technology.

The campus has strong collaborative links with external organisations such as Waitemata Health. It was one of the first to open a business incubator on campus in partnership with the local city council and the Tindall Foundation. Students at Albany benefit from a wide range of scholarships offered by the University and local and multinational business organisations.

The campus has a self-contained, apartment-style student village five minutes' walk from the campus, the local township, shopping centre and sports stadium. (See map at back.)

Massey University Wellington

Massey University's Wellington campus was established in 1999.

The Wellington campus is located on the southern boundary of the city in an area known as Mount Cook. The National War Memorial, one of the key landmarks of the city, stands proudly at the Buckle Street entrance to the northern zone of the campus. Visible from many parts of the city, the War Memorial is the focal point for two protected 'view shafts' that link the campus to the spectacular Wellington harbour. Immediately behind the War Memorial is Tokomaru (the Museum Building), originally built as the Dominion Museum in 1936. This Putaruru stone and concrete structure was strengthened and extensively refurbished during 2000 and re-opened for use in 2001.

The campus occupies some sixteen hectares and has several multi-storey buildings located in the central zone, which was originally developed in the 1960s to house one of New Zealand's first polytechnics. The campus then turns east and stretches down the slopes to the suburb of Newtown (eastern zone). The campus sits within an urban environment and the city's café and theatre districts lie within easy walking distance. All of the Colleges of the University teach programmes at the campus and many are able to use the cosmopolitan nature of the city to advantage. The College of Design, Fine Arts and Music can trace its origins back to the Riley School of Design, which was established in Wellington in 1886.

Halls of Residence

Palmerston North

Until 1943 student accommodation was confined to the Old Hostel, but in the ten years following 1943 residential facilities were tripled - first by the purchase in that year of the Monro Homestead (purchased with the aid of the Moginie bequest); second by the addition of the Pink Hostel, constructed during World War II as a staff college for officers of the armed services (1944); third by the acquisition of the 'Rehab' hostels erected by the Government as part of its returned servicemen's rehabilitation programme; and fourth by the construction of the YFC Memorial Building, which was financed by the Federation of Young Farmers' Clubs to commemorate members who were killed in the second World War (1953). Rehab 'B' and 'C' hostels were closed and removed during 2001, and both 'A' hostel and Woodhey were removed in 2005. YFC ceased being offered as accommodation in 2005 and was renovated to house the Halls Community Group, International Community Centre, Fale Pasifika and Kainga Rua.

In the 1960s several other halls made their appearance: the new Monro House (1961), now Craiglockhart, Fergusson Hall, Colombo Hall (1964) and Eliott House (purchased in 1966). A further homestead, Fitzherbert House (now Bindaloe House), was made available by the University (1966), followed by Cubeside and The Stable (1982), and Moginie Hall (1985). In 1988 Cubeside Hostel was relinquished to Māori Studies and the third wing on the seventy-two-bed Moginie Hall was completed to replace Cubeside. Following kitchen and common room renovations, Moginie Hall now has 68 beds.

In 1989 the Pink Hostel was given over to the Accountancy Department although it was returned to accommodation in 2002 and is now named McHardy Hall.

Colombo Hall was provided by the Government as part of the Colombo Plan Aid Programme, but accommodation in it is neither compulsory for, nor limited to international students. Fergusson Hall, an historic Manawatu homestead, is administered by the Presbyterian Education Purposes Trust in conjunction with the University. Walter Dyer Hall (1969) was financed in part from funds accumulated from levies on students in residence. In its efforts to provide more on-campus accommodation, the University continues to benefit from collaboration of this sort with other bodies. A substantial contribution from the Palmerston North City Council, with additional funds raised by Rotary Clubs in the district and by the Federation of Taranaki Dairy Factories, led to the opening in 1971 of City Court, Egmont Court and Rotary Court. Kairanga Court, again financed in part from levies, opened in 1977.

In 1992 the Atawhai student village was developed to provide sixty-five single flatting beds in thirteen units and twelve two-bedroom married student units. The Tararua and Ruahine flatting complexes of twenty-four beds were opened for student use in 1992 and 1996. The merger between the Palmerston North College of Education and Massey University in 1996 added Blair Tennant Hall in Fitzherbert Avenue to the University's accommodation for students although this Hall has now been decommissioned.

The University has 208 replacement beds available from Semester One 2006 on the Turitea Campus. Matai and Totara Halls (104 beds), along with the Kanuka Commons building opened in February 2005, with Tawa and Miro Halls and the Manuka Commons opened in February 2006. (Older accommodation, specifically the rehab hostels and some Moginie flats have been decommissioned as a result.)

Residential accommodation on or adjoining the Palmerston North campus is now available for 940 students. Dining facilities for all halls are in the Student Centre.

Albany

Since 1999 Massey has offered accommodation to students in flats in complexes known as "Villages", owned by its partners Buildcorp Management Ltd. Rental tenancies are for a 52-week period.

The flats are self-catering with free carparking in all complexes, but in 2005 a catered option was introduced in Lucas Creek (see below). All villages are in pleasant semi-rural locations, but close to the campus and Albany Village and Albany Mega Centre with its retail facilities, cafes and supermarket.

The Millennium Village opened in February 1999. It is located at 548 Albany Highway close to Oteha Rohe and Albany Village and 10 minutes walk to the main campus (free shuttle during the day in semester time). It consists of 32 self-catering, 4-bedroom units accommodating 128 students. The units are fully-furnished and equipped and car parking is available. The Village has a large common room with SKY television, pool table and indoor/outdoor flow for communal social events.

The Lucas Creek Village opened in 2004. It is located at 9 The Avenue, Albany, minutes from the School of Design and 15 minutes walk from the main campus (free shuttle during the day in semester time). It consists of 26 apartments, accommodating 136 students. Each apartment is fully furnished and equipped and has either 3 or 7 bedrooms. The majority are self-catering, but there is a catered option in one of the larger apartments.

Massey has an allocation of 6 apartmentsinCasa Bella Complex, at 427 Albany Highway which is close to Oteha Rohe and 20 minutes walk to the main campus. The complex has a swimming pool, fully equipped gym and tennis court and is in a quiet peaceful location. These apartments are especially suitable for mature, postgraduate students. Each apartment has 4 bedrooms and is fully furnished and equipped.

Wellington

The St George Hall catered hostel is located on Willis Street in Wellington's compact downtown walking area. It can accommodate 190 male and female students during the academic year in mainly single rooms. Most rooms are located within the main building on the corner of Willis and Boulcott Streets.

Te Awhina and Basin Apartments off the Basin Reserve provide self-contained fully furnished five-bedroom and studio apartments with a total of 340 beds between the two complexes.

The Drummond Street Apartments are situated just off Adelaide Road and contain four- and five-bedroom self-contained apartments within five minutes' walk of the central zone of Massey University. This complex houses another 140 beds.

The Martin Square Apartments provide 200 beds in mainly self-contained, fully furnished studio units and are situated just to the north of the Museum Building - Tokomaru (North Zone of campus).

All four apartments offer accommodation conveniently located on the doorstep of the campus and just minutes from downtown Wellington.

The University Farms

The University operates 2,200 hectares of farmland, which is maintained for teaching, research and extension purposes. A wide range of farming enterprises and activities are conducted on 980 hectares of land adjacent to the Turitea site of the Palmerston North campus. About three-quarters of this is gently rolling country of heavy silt loam, while the remainder consists of river flats varying from fertile silt loams and light sandy soil to river shingle. The 980 hectares comprises three dairy farms, two sheep and beef units, a deer research unit, a horticulture orchard and a number of intensive animal research units.

The University has a unique range of agricultural research facilities that enables it to undertake research, farming and educational functions. The facilities include three milking sheds, wool sheds (all fitted with electronic data collection equipment), sheep, deer and cattle yards, animal physiology and feed processing units, orchards, nurseries and glasshouses.

The University also operates two farming enterprises situated away from the Palmerston North campus. Tuapaka Farm is a 476-hectare hill country farm, twelve kilometres away from the Palmerston North campus. About twenty percent of the farm is flat while the remainder consists of easy-to-steep hill country, rising to an altitude of 212 metres above sea level. Riverside Farm, a 723-hectare sheep farm situated thirteen kilometres from Masterton and ninety kilometres from Palmerston North, is on a long-term lease to the University. The property consists of three distinct areas: the flats and terraces take up about 470 hectares, the undulating and easy limestone hill area 160 hectares and the steeper hill country seventy hectares.

The Farms and Research Units provide an extensive research capability, allow the demonstration of farming systems and facilitate a continuing programme of research and extension to the benefit of agricultural, horticultural and veterinary sciences both within New Zealand and overseas. The University farmland plays an important role in meeting the overall educational and research objectives of the University.

The Massey Collections

The life and work of the Right Honourable William Ferguson Massey has been commemorated in many ways. Of these the most distinctive was the decision shortly after his death to rename the newly-founded New Zealand Agricultural College at Palmerston North. In introducing the amending legislation, the Minister of Agriculture, the Hon. O.J. Hawken, proposed that the College be known as Massey Agricultural College, saying:

"I think all honourable members honour that name, and I think it is the best that could be chosen, because the late leader of the House was recognised as an agriculturist. The interest he took in the subject is well known, and I believe he had - more than most people realise - a longing to set up an agricultural college. The opportunity did not occur in his time, but I am sure that he was heart and soul in the project."

The College was formally opened in 1928. Thirty-six years later it became an autonomous multi-faculty university. Although the original use of Massey's name was related to his interest in agriculture, the name of the emergent institution, Massey University, was readily maintained in view of his eminent standing in the political history of the country. At the opening of the University Library and Veterinary Clinical Sciences buildings in 1968, the Governor-General, Lord Porritt, endorsed this view with the conclusion that "William Massey was without doubt one of the country's greatest politicians and statesmen". Massey University is the only tertiary educational institution to be so named after a New Zealand citizen.

In 1968, a generous gift from the family of William Massey led to the establishment of the Massey Trust. The University Council declared the purposes of the Trust to be:

"To sustain at the University and in New Zealand the associations of the life and work of the late William Ferguson Massey with the name, aspirations and activities of the University and for the purposes of advancing knowledge and interest in those aspects of the development of New Zealand with which the late William Ferguson Massey was particularly associated, by collecting, collating and preserving archives and other material relating to the late William Ferguson Massey."

Included in its functions was responsibility for organising, at intervals of not more than three years, a Massey Memorial Lecture. Seven such lectures have been given by distinguished New Zealand scholars, and in each case the request that the lecture should be of a high standard on a matter of broad public interest has been met. More recently, the Massey family presented to the University a unique and very valuable collection of gifts given to him during his years as Prime Minister. This collection is now on display on level three of the Registry.

Massey University holds seven collections:

-   Massey University Art Collection (contemporary New Zealand art): Palmerston North and Albany

-   Massey College of Education Arts Trust

-   Riddet Collection (representational New Zealand art)

-   Webster Collection of Porcelain

-   Massey University Collection of Georgian Silver

-   Wellington Campus Art Collection.

The Art Collections Policy aims to:

1. Create a framework for the development, preservation and use of Massey University's several collections of art in order to:

(a) acknowledge and celebrate the history of Massey University and its antecedent organisations

(b) provide a resource for the teaching, research and community service activities of the University

(c) provide opportunities for the study and appreciation of art by members of Massey University and the communities that it serves

(d) contribute to a stimulating and aesthetically pleasing environment for the campuses.

2. Provide guidance to those responsible for the acquisition, preservation and use of art collections so that the interests of the whole University are maintained while at the same time duly recognising the multi-campus nature of the University and the diversity of the communities that it serves.

The Arms and Colours of the University

By the authority of the Duke of Norfolk, Earl Marshal and Hereditary Marshal of England, the Kings of Arms assigned arms to Massey University on the tenth day of May 1967. The arms are defined as:

Gyronny of ten argent and azure a mullet gules fimbriated argent and irradiated or and for the crest on a wreath of the colours issuant from flames proper a ram's head argent horned and ensigned by the horns of the African long-legged ram.

On a scroll appear the words 'floreat scientia', which means, translated from Latin, 'Let knowledge flourish'.

The symbolism of the design is interpreted as follows:

The star is from the Arms of New Zealand. Here it also represents knowledge and learning and so has been irradiated. It is in the centre of the shield, being the central theme of the University. The background, a gyronny of ten pieces in blue and white, represents the ten degrees first offered by the University. The crest is the ram's head that was used in former years by the Students' Association. This, with its four horns, is unusual and memorable and provides a link with agriculture and the former College. There are many ram's head crests used in heraldry, so this one is made distinctive by proceeding from flames of learning. The flames also suggest, phoenix-like, the idea of a new body being born out of an old.

The University colours and their British Colour Council reference numbers are:

BCC Name BCC Number

University blue midnight 90

Light blue forget-me-not 84

White

Academic Dress

1. Graduates shall appear at all public ceremonies of the University in the academic dress proper to their degree. Graduates of other Universities who are admitted with equivalent status may wear the academic dress of their own university.

2. The form of the principal officers' robes shall be as follows:

Chancellor

Of rich all-silk University blue damask. 50mm gold oak leaf lace to outer edges of facings. Gold ornaments to sleeves and sleeve cuffs edged gold plate lace. Facings and shoulder wings trimmed in light blue taffeta and shall bear the University's Coat of Arms on each shoulder.

Pro-Chancellor

Of rich all-silk University blue damask, dispensing with sleeve ornaments and using 25mm gold lace to outer edges of facings and shoulder wings. Facings and shoulder wings to be of light blue taffeta and shall bear the University's Coat of Arms on each shoulder.

Vice-Chancellor

Of rich all-silk University blue damask with silver sleeve ornaments and using 25mm silver lace to outer edges of facings and shoulder wings. Facings and shoulder wings to be of light blue taffeta and shall bear the University's Coat of Arms on each shoulder.

Deputy Vice-Chancellor and Campus Head

Of rich all-silk University blue damask, dispensing with sleeve ornaments and using 25mm silver lace to outer edges of facings and shoulder wings. Facings and shoulder wings to be of light blue taffeta and shall bear the University's Coat of Arms on each shoulder.

University Registrar

Of plain all-silk University blue ottoman without ornamentation, but facings and shoulder wings to be of light blue taffeta and shall bear the University's Coat of Arms on each shoulder.

Regional Registrar

Of plain all-silk University blue ottoman without ornamentation, but facings and shoulder wings to be of light blue taffeta and shall bear the University's Coat of Arms on each shoulder.

University Council

The academic dress is as for the Cambridge Bachelor of Arts but with a facing of light blue satin (50mm wide, BCC 84 forget-me-not) edged with an additional dark blue satin (25mm wide, BCC 90 midnight), the full length of the front. Graduates may wear the hat and hood of their own degree.

University Marshal, University Orator and Graduation Officials

The academic dress shall be of their own university and shall bear the University's Coat of Arms on each shoulder.

The Hats of These Officers Shall Be:

Trenchers or Tudor Bonnets made of the materials as used for the robes in each case, but with a gold tassel for the Chancellor and Pro-Chancellor, silver for the Vice-Chancellor and Principal, and light blue for the Registrar. The Chancellor's hat is to be lightly decorated with gold lace and the Vice-Chancellor's hat lightly decorated with silver lace.

3. (a) The gown for an undergraduate or for a Bachelor's Degree is as for the Cambridge Bachelor of Arts.

(b) The gown for a Master's Degree is as for the Cambridge Master of Arts.

(c) The gown for the degrees of Doctors of Business and Administration, Education and Philosophy is as for the Cambridge Master of Arts, but with a facing of cloth 'post office red' (BCC No. 209) ten centimetres wide the full length of the front.

(d) The gown for all other Doctors Degrees is as for the Cambridge Master of Arts, but the colour is 'post office red' (BCC No. 209).

4. (a) The hood for every degree is of the same size and shape as the Cambridge Master of Arts.

(b) The hood for Masters Degrees shall be made of material of the colour 'university blue' (BCC No. 90) and shall be lined with material of the colour appropriate to the degree, except for Master of Philosophy, which shall be lined with material of the colour 'post office red' (BCC No. 209).

(c) The hood for a Bachelor's Degree or a Bachelor's Degree with Honours shall be as for the Master's hood, but bordered with a 40mm white fur.

(d) The hood for a Bachelor Honours Degree shall be as for the Master's hood, but bordered with a 40mm white silk.

(e) The hood for a PhD Degree shall be made of material of the colour 'post office red' (BCC No. 209) and shall be lined with 'university blue' (BCC No. 90).

(f) The hood of other Doctors Degrees shall be the Master's hood appropriate to the discipline in which the degree was taken.

5. The colours of the linings of the hoods for the Bachelors, Masters and Doctors Degrees other than PhD are as follows:

BCC Name BCC Number

Accountancy

indian yellow

6

Agriculture

pea green

172

Agricultural Economics

verdigris

12

Agricultural Science

emerald

213

Applied Economics

dioptase

203

Applied Science

emerald

213

Applied Statistics

parma violet

216

Arts

rose pink

32

Aviation

stonewhite

61

Aviation Management

stonewhite

61

Business Administration

tangerine

55

Business Information

indian yellow

6

Business Studies

indian yellow

6

Communication

indian yellow

6

Construction

claret

36

Counselling

medici crimson

230

Dairy Science and Technology

claret

36

Defence Studies

pansy

180

Design

white

1

Development Administration

rose pink

32

Education

tuscan yellow

233

Educational Administration

gull grey

81

Educational Psychology

tuscan yellow

233

Educational Studies

tuscan yellow

233

Engineering

claret

36

Engineering Technology

claret

36

Ergonomics

claret

36

Fine Arts

white

1

Health Sciences

emerald

213

Horticulture

grass green

103

Horticulture(Bus), (Sc)or (Tech)

tartan green

26

Information Science

parma violet

216

Information Systems

indian yellow

6

Management

indian yellow

6

Māori Performing Arts

white

1

Māori Visual Arts

black, overprinted with silver motif

Medical Laboratory Science

jade

122

Midwifery

crocus

177

Music

white

1

Music Therapy

white

1

Nursing

crocus

177

Performance Design

white

1

Public Policy

rose pink

32

Resource and Environmental Planning

forget-me-not blue

84

Science

smalt blue

147

Social Work

horse chestnut

134

Speech and Language Therapy

emerald

213

Sport Studies

indian yellow

6

Te Aho Tatai-Rangi

tuscan yellow

233

Technology

claret

36

Veterinary Science

imperial purple

109

Veterinary Studies

imperial purple

109

Graduates in a conjoint programme of two degrees may choose which of the relevant hoods they will wear.

6. The stole for diplomas is made of black material with a 15mm band of the colour light blue (BCC 84 forget-me-not) on the inner margin and the Massey University Symbol (the Roundel) 75mm in diameter embroidered in light blue 75mm above the lower margin on the left side.

As an alternative to wearing the stole, diplomates who also hold a degree may wear the robes of that degree.

7. (a) The headgear for Bachelors, Masters and for diplomates who are graduates is a black trencher with tassel.

(b) The headgear for Doctors Degrees is a black velvet bonnet as for the Oxford Doctor of Civil Law.

Note

Academic gowns, hoods and trenchers are available for hire from Academic Dress Hire, P.O. Box 1713, Palmerston North.

  Contact | About Massey University | Sitemap | Disclaimer | Last updated: October 1, 2007     © Massey University 2006